NM Wind Aided Times
07/06/2016 10:16:49 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
One would think the meet directors in NM could invest in a $100 wind meter and use it before all these wind aided times get placed into the rankings here on mile split. Not trying to offend anyone here, but this really needs to be corrected!
One would think the meet directors in NM could invest in a $100 wind meter and use it before all these wind aided times get placed into the rankings here on mile split. Not trying to offend anyone here, but this really needs to be corrected!
07/10/2016 11:12:46 AM
Coach
As a long time coach in New Mexico I cannot agree more. Some of the ways we do things in this state are behind the times. More often than not it is the coaches and AD that are resistant to change and not as much so the state association. Examples - for years the process for advancing to the state meet was by hitting qualifying marks and hand held marks (no wind meter) were perfectly acceptable. Other baffling NM T&F rules - 5 events per individual, no 4x8 but still 4 relays (4x1, 4x2, sprint medley, 4x4), and a 4x2 with only a 2 turn stagger. -Adam Kedge, Abq. Academy HS, Albuquerque NM
As a long time coach in New Mexico I cannot agree more. Some of the ways we do things in this state are behind the times. More often than not it is the coaches and AD that are resistant to change and not as much so the state association. Examples - for years the process for advancing to the state meet was by hitting qualifying marks and hand held marks (no wind meter) were perfectly acceptable. Other baffling NM T&F rules - 5 events per individual, no 4x8 but still 4 relays (4x1, 4x2, sprint medley, 4x4), and a 4x2 with only a 2 turn stagger. -Adam Kedge, Abq. Academy HS, Albuquerque NM
07/10/2016 4:01:49 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
I spoke to an official at the state meet whom I know. When I mentioned the wind aided rankings to him he simply stated "It does not matter, all of that will be settled here at this meet". Now while I agree that is true for the most part, it is not good enough and misleading for our athletes and anyone who might be looking to get an accurate reading on our states athletes. Even the GSW officials for our own state had no clue what was real in selecting our kids this year. They were trying to use the MS rankings to make selections. It is just not that hard to fix these inaccuracies and join the rest of the nation in recording and tracking results. The way it is now the only way to get any kind of accurate ranking for our kids would be to throw out an athletes low and high times and average the rest of their results.
I spoke to an official at the state meet whom I know. When I mentioned the wind aided rankings to him he simply stated "It does not matter, all of that will be settled here at this meet". Now while I agree that is true for the most part, it is not good enough and misleading for our athletes and anyone who might be looking to get an accurate reading on our states athletes. Even the GSW officials for our own state had no clue what was real in selecting our kids this year. They were trying to use the MS rankings to make selections. It is just not that hard to fix these inaccuracies and join the rest of the nation in recording and tracking results. The way it is now the only way to get any kind of accurate ranking for our kids would be to throw out an athletes low and high times and average the rest of their results.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.